Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Learning from the scriptures

Randoms from the week
1. So we had some more adventures with bolos following us around this week. One of them wouldnt leave us alone and kept following us. When we crossed the street, he did, we would try and go into a store to get away from him and he would follow us! Like dang leave us alone. Finally we went and talked to some members at their store and he went into another store so we had to duck into the milpa (corn field) and sprint through it to get away from him, and then like 3 nights later some bolo in a bike came up on us and was trying to follow us as well. NO! get away from us! And then Saturday night we saw this one bolo whose car had just stopped and he wanted us to help him push it down the hill so that it would start up again jajaja I am not sure if that is instigating drunk driving or not? But Guatemalan Police dont even care anyway.

2. It has been raining here pretty consistently and there are like huge potholes all over the road here, so it is pretty hard not to get splashed as we are walking, and this week was no exception. Except we got absolutely showered by this one bus that was driving way to fast (of course)  and just showered us when it hit this huge pothole. and then less then 5 minutes later we got showered yet again by another bus. awesome. I love Guatemala! 

3. We went and visited Susi this week, and her daughter said this prayer that was hilarious. Her name is Valentina and she is like 5 years old. But in her prayer she asked for God to bless all the kids that eat dirt cookes, and dirt sandwhiches and drink dirt jajaj umm what!? Where did you get that from??? And then later Susi explained that she always prays for the children in Africa. I just looked at Hna Feliz and started dying of laughter. 

Personal Study

So I started reading the Book of Mormon again from the beginnin and have been learning a ton of course! There were a couple of things that I really like that I wanted to share with you guys, 

1. The importance of the Spirit. I was reading in 1 nephi 11 I think, where Nephi is being taught by the Holy Ghost, and it really made me think about my own worthiness of the scared gift of the Holy Ghost. Thinking about if I am worthy of his companionship? If I am humble enough to receive his counsel? If I am willing to follow it when I receive it? Do I even recognize when the Spirit is trying to talk to me? Do I strive to live worthy of his companionship everyday? There are so many things to reflect upon, and I realized how much I could change to be even more worthy of the Holy Ghost. I invite each of you to think and ponder upon these questions and your own worthiness. And if there are things that you need to change, then do it! The Lord will help you and we will be so much more blessed in our daily lives as we have the sacred and constant companionship of the Holy Ghost.

2. I was also reading yet again in Nephi when he goes into Jerusalem, and finds Laban drunk, kills him and then puts on his clothig and goes to Laban´s treasury to get the brass plates, but what struck me was how Zoram, Laban´s servant recognized Nephi as Laban because of the clothes he had on and because he had Laban´s sword. And then that got me thinking, all of us who have been baptized have taken upon ourselves the name of Christ, but do those around us recognize this as well? Can they see the "sword" and "clothing" that we have on? Do they recognize us as servants, disciples and representatives of Jesus Christ? If we remember the words that the prophet spoke to us this last conference we will remember that he called upon us to be examples of the believers. And I extend this same invitation to each of you. As we partake of the sacrament each week we promise to always remember Him. Do we know what the fully entails? Are we remembering him each day? these are just some things that I thought about this week, and helped me realize the things that I can change and do better at. 

I have come to have a real love for the scriptures, studying them and learning from them. And I invite everyone to do the same, to get into a regularly studying the scriptures. There is so much that we can learn from them.

I love you all so much and am so thankful for your support and prayers! 

los quiero mucho!

Hermana Loo
Only in Guatemala do you get lost in the mountains
and then walk through random fields to find your way down!
 



This rainbow was so pretty and so clear, I have never seen one like it!

and then the last one.. some bolo sleeping on the side of the road.. typical Guatemala!
This volcano is always spitting out smoke.. scary!


No comments:

Post a Comment